Monday, September 28, 2009

Sleep is my worst friend

We have been in Africa for just over a week and already, it has been quite eventful....
1.) we have mice in our house. I killed one yesterday....it was a baby one, but after a day of mourning, the adult mice have returned and continue to inhabit our kitchen. Plans of extermination have reached a stallmate as we are debating whether we want a cat or mouse traps. I vote cat....I will name it Timmy...in order to confuse my easily confused roomate (his name is tim) when I walk in and yell, "Timmy!!! Come here" I am picturing them both running the door, tripping over one another. Timmy, or Butters....for obvious reasons.

2.) We went to a church convention on the weekend....and that pretty much destroyed me. I got a grand total of 12 hours during 3 nights at the convention...and on top of that....I had to re learn how to drive standard, on the wrong side of the car, on the wrong side of the road, down sketchy african roads, in a place I was completely unfamiliar with....we can all imagine how successful this was. On top of this....the car i was driving got a flat after I ran over a rock.....soooo, i felt pretty bad all weekend. The convention itselft was pretty intense too. The worship was very charismatic, very loud, very emotional, very spiritually driven....it was very different from what I was used to...it really rattled me because it all seemed very overwhelming after only 2 days in Africa. I was tired, I was confused, I was lonely, I was homesick, I was completely overwhelmed by everything.....it was a very challenging weekend. It has been quite a struggle for me to adjust...especially since I cant sleep very well....so I am asking for you all to pray that I can learn to sleep so I can actually be useful here and not just wonder what I'm missing at home while I lay awake at 4 in the morning night after night after night after night after night....

3.) Everyone I have met here is very supportive...it has been a very welcoming place. Its made things a little easier in adjusting.

4.) i had more to say...but i forget what it was

2 comments:

  1. You will bounce back! I know you will.

    And my vote is for the cat named Timmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Tim let you call him "Timmy"? He hasn't let us call him that since he was 5 or 6.

    (Tim's Dad)

    ReplyDelete